Friday, September 17, 2010

You who never arrived


You who never arrived in my arms,  
Beloved, who were lost from the start, 
I don't even know what songs would please you.  
I have given up trying to recognize you 
in the surging wave of the next moment.  
All the immense images in me-- 
the far-off, deeply-felt landscape, 
cities, towers, and bridges, 
and unsuspected turns in the path, 
and those powerful lands that were once 
pulsing with the life of the gods- 
all rise within me to mean you, 
who forever elude me.  
You, Beloved, 
who are all the gardens I have ever gazed at,
longing. 
An open window in a country house--, 
and you almost stepped out, pensive, to meet me. 
Streets that I chanced upon--,
you had just walked down them and vanished. 
And sometimes, in a shop, 
the mirrors were still dizzy with your presence and, 
startled, gave back my too-sudden image.  
Who knows? 
perhaps the same bird echoed through both of us yesterday, 
separate, 
in the evening..
~Rilke

No comments: