Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The slave



My head hurts and I feel as though a big leech has drained all the blood in me.
I've been going on non-stop on this dreary mountain climb. The skies are filled with dark blue and grey hues. The wind is whistling softly, barely giving relief.
I've exhausted all of my energy but the journey will not end anytime soon. The burden I carry, which at first was light now feels like a tonne. I still remember the first day I set out: I was the King of the world. I ran from North to the East, moonwalking from the South to the West.
But now, the road feels long, long...and unending.

They saw how I ran, so they thought they could put their weight on me. During the safety of midnight they would huddle together and whisper, "She could do it, far better than us. Give it to her."
And so they did. They were hesitant at first, but they got over the guilt.
They piled everything, then forgot about it. Vying for an empty spot, they'd grab it once they have a chance. I was blinded, so there was no way I could evade them. So my load became increasingly heavier, heavier. And theirs became increasingly lighter, lighter.
But,
Their voices became louder. They felt the invisible weight, as if it was still with them. They cried, "Our load is still breaking our backs. We can only sit still."
In the shadows, I laughed at their disillusion.
Seriously, is there a disease of invisible burden like the case of invisible limbs of amputees?
Did they not see whose back was broken?
Whose hands still bleed?
Don't they see me who lag behind them, carrying all that they piled on me?

In my eyes, they became like crazy people.
I'm the only sane one here, but my back is broken, my hands are still bleeding and I still walk behind.

So I'd wish for some of that insanity, to break free from reality for a while. But then I shook my head, shaking off those dirty thoughts off my mind. Let them be satisfied by their minimum effort to get by. Like someone swimming, always at the edge of the water and never attempting the depths. What a waste.

Resigned from what was restricted of me, I moved on. Leaving all their howlings behind.

No comments: