Monday, October 12, 2009

Almost doesn't count

*Warning! Post jiwang merepek! Keep out if you'll question my state of mind*

Today the air cond in the lab is not working and it's making my eyes heavy and threatening to close at any time. I really feel like a life-sized dumpling steamed in a giant steamer. If I am ever a dumpling, I want to be the pau-shaped plump yellow dumpling with little prawns in it. Ah, it's making me hungry already (Oh, let me be strong in going through this diet thing..huhuhu).

Last night me and my family stayed out late as relatives came by to our house to look at my sister's engagement preparations. Whole of yesterday and the day before we were all busy turning the house upside down to do spring cleaning. Award for the most dedicated person in cleaning goes to....drumroll....Lili! Yes, she is truly an Energizer bunny of cleaning, and it's hard to keep up with her ;)

After all the excitement calmed down in the wee hours of the morning, me and my aunt (but she is of the same age) lepak together and shared our stories. Naturally, given the setting, both of us reflected on our, erm, *cough* situation :p. I shared my weird story and she shared hers. Haha, btw, if u r reading this, thanks for last night, I needed to get that out of my chest :)

Then she posed a question: how do married couples know that they've found the ONE? She said that everyone she asked gave the same answer: if you found it, you just know.
Bah! I contest that, lansung x saintifik. That is indeed an abstract answer to a specific question. However, I know it's impossible to put in scientific terms something as irrational and magical as love.

But I wonder, is it possible to just know? How long is the probation period to get to know someone? And how, God help me, do we know that he is the ONE?
For the last question, it is common knowledge that not everybody's tale get a happy ending. So instead of the one, maybe there'll be a second or maybe even a third. So is there a possibility that the ONE does not exist, but only a false illusion that is akin to searching for the end of the rainbow?
Why not, instead of searching for the end of the rainbow you just enjoy the presence of the rainbow itself?
I believe that God is never cruel, He is The Just. So if things don't work out, maybe it's something you have to go through to prepare you for the more challenging days ahead. We will never know if that other person is meant for us only. What we can think about is whether that person is worth the fight? Is he worth the pain and cost to your soul? I don't know and it is puzzling to myself that I still hang around to see what happens. Well, they said that faith and hope are the most frail but hardest to kill of all emotions.
I don't know but think that we cannot keep on fighting or guessing what is the other person's attention. It is truly liberating to let go and trust that life in itself would flow as it is supposed to. It is exhausting to be on your guard always, always looking out your shoulder to exit at the first sign of rejection. When there is a desire to reach out, you fear that no one would be there. So you don't. Hey, two can play that game right? Even if in the game of love, someone threw away the instructions :P
It's a good thing that the heart is guarded, no one has touched it yet. You have to be sure first to bet a part of that on the line. Well, as they say, almost doesn't count.
Almost heard you saying
You were finally free
What was always missing for you, baby
You'd found it in me
But you can't get to heaven
Half off the ground
Everybody knows
Almost doesn't count

I can't keep on lovin' you
One foot outside the door
I hear a funny hesitation
Of a heart that's never really sure
Can't keep on tryin'
If you're looking for more
Than all that I could give you
Than what you came here for

~Adapted from Almost doesn't count by Brandy
So what now? I think I know my limits and I wonder how I got here. It breaks my heart to know that I am that gullible and naive. I have more urgent things in my list that I have to care of: my family and my PhD.
But maybe I'll continue on this game, just to see what'll happen next. Plus, it is a situation that no one I asked ever come across. So it's a valuable lesson to pick up along the stony path of life. Maybe it is something that I have to go through and pray for the best. I've read somewhere that doa adalah penolak takdir.
So how to change your destiny when you don't really know what's best for you?
My friend, just pray to ask for what's in your heart. I tell you, there's someone listening and would give it to you in ways you wouldn't understand or even want to. If you are near, then rest assured He'll be nearer ;)

8 comments:

'Aini said...

hm. another question. but, the answer is: u'll juz know. ya ya. not scientific, i knw tht. who needs logic in love? do u knw tht love itself doesn't even exist? it's all hormone, feromon. ha ha ha.

Ice Rose Princess said...

however, there exist people in this world who choose to deal with love objectively and logically: as if its a fixed entity. They conveniently forget how irrational n dynamic the whole situation is.
.
.
.
alaaaaaaaaaaaaa....love doesn't exist? i was secretly hoping otherwise ;p

fadil said...

love definitely exist..but always,it is put in a wrong place..

Ice Rose Princess said...

aha...mr fadil, i think i know where u going with this: I know that the purest and highest form of love would be for Him.
However, what we're focusing on is love on the level of us mortals...huhu. Yes, it is safer to put your love for Allah but you can't deny that the desire to have someone to share your life with is a natural instinct that is instilled in us to make us complete as human.To be like Rabiatul Adawiyah is beyond me...

But if what you mean is that we often misplace our love to someone who wouldn't reciprocate, that situation is part and parcel of life. As they say, u have to knock on many doors to finally find someone who'll open it for you ;p

'Aini said...

to mr. fadil,
agree with lisa. the greatest love of all even unspoken would be for HIM, coz of HIM.

lisa,
well, u want love to be scientific, there u go. for sure u can't measure love. the only explanation is --> hormon. wahahaha.

i got this from NatGeo.

Hani said...

kaklisa, i miss talking to you and your aunt yang perasan muda tu haha (i hope im guessing the right aunt!)

well sapelah saya ini untuk mengomen cinta2 ni semua, butttt i do like the fact that love is hormone. haha.

habis cerita!

Ice Rose Princess said...

'aini,
everything is blamed on hormones nowadays haha

hani,
i miss talking to u too :) n yes, i'm sure u guessed the right aunt. Xpe, iAllah we get to share our weird stories nnt masa majlis Lili ;)

love is hormone...hmm, gotta get used to tht. so mayb there's a drug to set things right? a hormone therapy maybe? haha

'Aini said...

EPO sounds OK :p